Breathing exercises are a great way to reduce stress in the body and to quiet the mind.
Don’t worry about doing this exercise “the right way”. Although a counted rhythm helps, it will still be effective as long as your breathing becomes slower and deeper.
Over time you can increase how long you breathe in and breathe out. Practice regularly to benefit from this exercise.
1. Sit or lie flat in a comfortable position (you can close your eyes if you are comfortable doing so).
2. Take a deep breath in through your nose, and feel the air expand your belly. Your chest should not move.
3. Slow your breathing down, breath in to a count of 3 (or 4), pause for a moment, then breath out to a count of 3 (or 4).
4. Make sure your breaths are smooth, slow and relaxed.
5. Do this breathing 3 to 10 times. Take your time with each breath.
6. Notice how you feel at the end of the exercise.